Have they given up?

John Angelico pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 11:17:28 +0900 (EST)

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 07:35:39 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>Sunday, April 16, 2000, 7:28:42 PM, John wrote:
>> Valid point but what do you mean about moving a program in OS/2 and breaking
>> links? I don't move many programs now since my system is fairly settled, but
>> if I do re-arrange things and move a folder to another drive, my shadows in
>> WarpCenter and/or Launchpad are automatically updated.
>
>    But the location of your data inside the programs is not.  Not moving
>programs, but the data they depend on is moved, it breaks.  Shadows are nice
>for the desktop people but give me symlinks since shadows do nothing for real
>file-system maintenance.

Depends on ISV's and how they write their programs, surely? And can be changed too. Apart from DeScribe, I agree
there are a lot of proggies that make the DOS assumption that data is in a sub-dir below the prog directory. Funny
PMMail does this too. (Is this sufficiently on-topic yet? <g>)

>> What situation are you describing where drive letters are hard-coded? I am
>> not denying, I am simply puzzled by your cryptic description.
>
>    Look in your config.sys and imagine now moving things of your tiny primary
>drive onto the nice new, 36Gb drive you bought from Best Buy (Asssuming Big
>Blue ever got OS/2 to recognize large drives) for a whopping $320.  All of a
>sudden every C: you see in there is a failure.

Mostly I have avoided the need to breake these by keeping OS/2 alone on C: and ONLY expanding other volumes/Drives.

It's not foolproof (with me around that's impossible <g>) because eg. path statements need tweaking but it minimises
some of the disruption you describe.

Best regards
John Angelico
OS/2 SIG
talldad@melbpc.org.au or talldad@kepl.com.au

PMTagline v1.50 - Copyright, 1996-1997, Stephen Berg and John Angelico
... A fool learns from his mistakes - a wise man learns from others