PMMail/2 and .vcf attachments

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:47:00 -0300 (ADT)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:15:28 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>Trevor: I would look through your PGP config and docs to see if there's
>        any mention of key servers or the string "pgp.ai.mit.edu"!
>
>        I am sure you will investigate anyway, but I'd certainly
>        like an explanation of this behaviour!

Thanks Simon, you've found it.

ai.mit.edu is indeed listed in my pgp.cfg file, as is this entry:

AutoServerFetch = 1

# Boolean.  If on, when adding keys with pgpk (1),
# if a specified key file is not found, it is assumed to be the name
of
# a key to retrieve from your default key server (see
# HTTPKeyServerHost and HTTPKeyServerPort ,
# below).  Some intelligence is attempted; even if this is on, if it
is
# obvious a file was intended (if the first characters are either "/"
or
# "./"), a fetch will not be made.  The default is on.

It seems that PMMail/2 is trying to add the PGP key found in the VCF
(this theory is supported by the key adding error that Brian gets
when viewing his own VCF card). Why is it trying to look up the key
then, if it is already present? Good question. The comment above
indicates that this feature is used if the file name supplied isn't
present.

So, it must go something like this:

1. PMMail/2 sees the PGP key
2. PMMail/2 calls PGPK.exe to add the key and supplies a file name,
possibly the temporary attachment file name
3. whatever name PMMail/2 is supplying to PGPK.exe, PGPK.exe doesn't
like it or can't find it so it hops off to pgp.ai.mit.edu to see if
it can find a key matching the file name (which, of course, it can
not)

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6