PMMail/2 and .vcf attachments

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:54:31 -0300 (ADT)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:26:34 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

>I noticed that PMMail 2000 Pro does not show any security information
>when the address book dialog opens after double clicking your attached
>.vcf file. If it contains your public key perhaps this should happen,

Maybe this is another clue. Maybe the PGP key included in the VCF
file is not valid so PMMail 2000 Pro (which understands PGP) ignores
it, therefore there is no security information in the address book
dialog it displays. Maybe this is also why PGPK.exe (which is called
by PMMail/2) is unable to add the key to my keyring so it goes off to
find a "real" key with a UID matching the filename supplied by
PMMail/2 when it called PGPK.exe.

Yes, this seems to be what must be happening. Simon, I think you're
PGP key is invalid, or at least my PGP 5.0 thinks it is.

I grabbed someone's public PGP key from his web site and saved it as
a text file named 'testkey', but first I removed the first x lines. I
tried this from the command line with OS/2:

  gpk -a testkey

Sure enough, PGPK.exe realized this key was garbage, and went to my
default PGP Keyserver (pgp.ai.mit.edu) to find a key named "testkey".
(It found quite a few, btw.)

Next, I resaved 'testkey' with the entire, valid public key from my
guinea pig's web site and tried

  gpk -a testkey

again. This time it worked fine, since the key was in fact
functional. No PGP Keyserver was contacted.

The mystery solved! My PGP doesn't like Simon's PGP key. Simon's "key
add error" (sorry, I may have earlier wrote that this was an error
Brian received, but I think it was Simon who wrote about this) must
also be related to this issue.

Simon, I'd check your PGP key in your VCF.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6