PMMail/2 and .vcf attachments

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:47:12 -0300 (ADT)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 21:02:02 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>Ok, "generated" was probably the wrong word, I mean that if I drag
>my entry from PMMail's address book to the attachment area of an
>outgping email, then the .vcf file attachment that pmmail/2 "generates"
>includes my PGP key (as supplied in the .vcf file I posted). I did not
>edit or add the PGP key, it is exactly as PMMail specified it - it was
>a big surprise to me to see my PGP key in the vCard!

WOW!!

I thought you were a lunatic <g> or that I was misunderstanding you
since, to my knowledge, PMMail/2 doesn't have any "intelligent
facility" for automatically seeing the name in an address book,
checking your PGP keyring and adding a public key to the VCF if a
matching key exists.

But you're not a lunatic, I was just wrong. :-)

Amazingly, Bob and Evan seem to have written this little trick into
the VCF drag and drop code. And, as we have already seen, PMMail/2
also does the reverse operation: if there is a PGP key in a VCF file,
PMMail/2 tries to call PGP to add that key to your keyring (though it
appears to do so as soon as you open the VCF file, *before* you click
the "add" button to add the person to your address book).

Of course, the PGP Key that PMMail/2 inserts in the VCF entry is
mangled with tabs and other things, which aren't getting properly
reconverted when PMMail/2 tries to import the key (a bug, I would
say).

That seems to be the end of the mystery.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6