PMMail/2 and .vcf attachments

Brian Morrison pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 17:25:47 +0100

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:47:12 -0300 (ADT), Trevor Smith wrote:

>I thought you were a lunatic <g> or that I was misunderstanding you
>since, to my knowledge, PMMail/2 doesn't have any "intelligent
>facility" for automatically seeing the name in an address book,
>checking your PGP keyring and adding a public key to the VCF if a
>matching key exists.
>
>But you're not a lunatic, I was just wrong. :-)
>
>Amazingly, Bob and Evan seem to have written this little trick into
>the VCF drag and drop code.

So, you're saying that if I have a PGP key for myself on my keyring,
the vcf file should contain my key?

Puzzling, when I drag myself out of my address book to the attachment
area, the vcf file does not contain anything other than the email
address and name information. I shall have to try this again to be
certain, but I don't think that it did this either in PMMail/2 or
PMMail 2000 Pro.

> And, as we have already seen, PMMail/2
>also does the reverse operation: if there is a PGP key in a VCF file,
>PMMail/2 tries to call PGP to add that key to your keyring (though it
>appears to do so as soon as you open the VCF file, *before* you click
>the "add" button to add the person to your address book).

OK, that is interesting, PMMail/2 did not appear to do this with
Simon's vcf file as far as I can see. I will check my keyring and make
sure, but I'm pretty sure it did not happen.

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails