PGP problems

Isaac pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 12:02:05 -0700 (PDT)

> > However, most (all?) of my e-mail is totally unimportant. Just casual
> > communication and organizing between my friends.
>
>     So?

So maybe some of us in other parts of the world don't give a hoot if
somebody is listening in on me planning a night at the movies with my
friends on Tuesday night??

>     "If no one else uses it, it's pointless for me to [do so]."  Uhm, well,
> how many people are saying that because you're not using it?  The fastest way
> to have other people use it is to use it yourself.

	There would be a point if more people are like me, or the people
on this list. If we all said "okay, let's make this a secure list."
Then that is not a problem. I can install and use PGP, I'd be quite
willing to, as it seems several other people on this list.
	However, most of my friends, as I pointed out, are plain, average
users. If I said "hey, let's encrypt our e-mails" the most likely response
from them would be "Why? Are we spies? You are whacked out, I'm not going
to bother".
	Maybe I could force them, eh? Maybe I'll just say okay, from now
on _all_ my e-mails will be encrypted. If you want to read anything from
me, you'll have to use PGP. Uhhh...guess what. They'll probably ignore me,
and if they want to communicate with me at all after that, they'll pick up
the phone.
	"Joe Average" does not see the point in securing plain, everyday
communication. Until you can get him/her to do so, the rest of us
(assuming we are on the "right side") can't use secure communications all
the time.

Isaac