PGP problems

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 12:34:35 -0700

Tuesday, August 01, 2000, 12:02:05 PM, Isaac wrote:
> So maybe some of us in other parts of the world don't give a hoot if
> somebody is listening in on me planning a night at the movies with my
> friends on Tuesday night??

    Well, that's your part of the world.  Quite frankly I wouldn't want anyone
eavesdropping on my personal correspondence.  That is why I use envelopes on
my letters, after all.  My personal business is /MY/ business.

>         However, most of my friends, as I pointed out, are plain, average
> users. If I said "hey, let's encrypt our e-mails" the most likely response
> from them would be "Why? Are we spies? You are whacked out, I'm not going
> to bother".

    That's fine.  Who said it was for your friends?  What about people on
other lists, or people you might correspond with in the future?  The point is
one more person using it is more incentive for other people to use it.  So
instead of looking at it as "Why should I use it when noone else is" as "It is
automatic, why not?"  Granted, it could be better on PMMail's side when it
comes to encryption, but decryption, key choice, signing and the presentation
thereof are nice.

>         "Joe Average" does not see the point in securing plain, everyday
> communication. Until you can get him/her to do so, the rest of us
> (assuming we are on the "right side") can't use secure communications all
> the time.

    Hell, we can't use secure communications /all/ the time even if joe
average did see the point.  The point is they don't have to for you to use it.