PGP problems

Winfried Tilanus pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 09:37:28 +0200 (CDT)

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 21:09:10 -0300, Trevor Smith wrote:

>It really is *not* that complicated, the docs just always
>seem to assume that anyone using PGP has 10 years computer
>experience, has compiled the code himself, etc.

You need indeed some technical knowledge to understand those docs. I do
some work for an organization that offers people people help with
problems they might want to discuss privately and anonymously. Some
time ago we expanded our help to internet. We have put a very simple,
clear and short explanation of why they might want to use PGP and how
it (roughly) works (in Dutch). Still nobody has used PGP. I have in
some occasions asked why someone did not use PGP: they understood the
problem and the solution, but they just did not care...

I believe people don't realize how much their privacy is at stake here:
it is much easier to monitor all internet traffic than all telephone
traffic or all snail-mail traffic. A digitized human voice or a sealed
envelope are far better forms of encryption than plain ASCII!

Best wishes,
Winfried

http://web.inter.NL.net/users/Winfried/