PGP problems

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 01 Aug 2000 21:09:10 -0300

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 19:14:50 -0700, John Bridges wrote:

>I don't think it's because it's hard to understand.

I disagree. I'm not a dumb man but I couldn't get a straightforward
understanding of PGP from the docs for a long time. I eventually got
a good grasp of things by trial and error and use.

I have never been able to find a casual computer user who could
understand the concepts of PGP from the docs I've seen. IMO, a brief
explanation *should* be all that is necessary to understand the
concepts. It really is *not* that complicated, the docs just always
seem to assume that anyone using PGP has 10 years computer
experience, has compiled the code himself, etc.

OK, I'm exaggerating a bit...

>I think it's still hard to use.

That's true too though.

>I can help friends set it up the first time, but if it's a pain to use, they
>won't use it.

Yep, you're right there.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com