PGP problems

John Bridges pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 07:06:08 -0700

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 21:09:10 -0300, Trevor Smith wrote:

>I disagree. I'm not a dumb man but I couldn't get a straightforward
>understanding of PGP from the docs for a long time. I eventually got
>a good grasp of things by trial and error and use.

I first started using PGP from the command line only, and that was brutal, no
idea what to do, terrible documentation.

But the recent Windows versions of PGP really are pretty painless to install.
They prompt you through the setup process, and have a nice gui program to
search the key server(s) for keys from your friends.

So I don't really blame PGP anymore, I blame the email programs which haven't
made use of the PGP API in their programs, or if they have, they make it a
"special case", not something you would do automaticly.  Things like an
option to request a key automaticly if you don't have one for a particular
email address.