PGP problems

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 08:17:26 -0700

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 07:06:08AM -0700, John Bridges wrote:
> But the recent Windows versions of PGP really are pretty painless to install.
> They prompt you through the setup process, and have a nice gui program to
> search the key server(s) for keys from your friends.

    Yes.  I was surprised at the latest freeware version.  6.5.3?

> So I don't really blame PGP anymore, I blame the email programs which haven't
> made use of the PGP API in their programs, or if they have, they make it a
> "special case", not something you would do automaticly.  Things like an
> option to request a key automaticly if you don't have one for a particular
> email address.

    Yes.  Not keeping defaults per account (or per personality if that is how
they do it), not automatically looking up keys.  Not integrating it into the
product more.  Not allowing to encrypt by default whenever possible.  It
/should/ be seamless.  PMMail and TB! are strong in this, just in different
areas.