PGP problems

Froggyball pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 13:44:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Steve Lamb wrote:

> Friday, August 04, 2000, 12:33:22 PM, Bill wrote:
> > Not astronomical for PGP. a few hours to a few days, ... they
> > have the hardware. Our diplomatic codes must be good for 20
> > years minimum, and this may be in jeopardy depend on processing
> > advances.
>
>     *sigh*  Did anyone here read the numbers?  Do the math before making
> assinine statements, ok?  There would have to be a quantum leap in processing
> power well beyond anything ever seen in history.... /EVER/.  Even what we have
> now nothing more than single atom in all the oceans of the world of what is
> needed to even begin to think about craking it through brute force.

You can't compare the numbers that way. 64-bit DES takes far shorter time
to cover the keyspace than 56-bit RC5 and PGP will be different yet again.

Yes, current methods take a long time. A different or new crack algorithm
could significantly reduce the time require, as does purpose built
hardware.

Getting back on topic, PGP should be made easy to use and install for
those that want it. It should be like a single check box or button to
turn on and off. And those that don't want it, don't have to use it.

(For those of you who think that you should use PGP all the time, lest
"they" get suspicious when you send encrypted messages some of the time,
consider that most people do NOT send encrypted messages. By the same
token, who do you think "they" will be zeroing in on? Those minority of
"suspicious" characters who always send encrypted, obviously they have
something to hide... ;)

Isaac