PGP problems

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 14:11:52 -0700

Friday, August 04, 2000, 1:44:25 PM, Froggyball wrote:
> You can't compare the numbers that way. 64-bit DES takes far shorter time
> to cover the keyspace than 56-bit RC5 and PGP will be different yet again.

    That is because of the time it takes to do the computation for those
algorithms.

> Yes, current methods take a long time. A different or new crack algorithm
> could significantly reduce the time require, as does purpose built
> hardware.

    The crack algorithm in use right now is simple brute force.  Try each
viable key in sequence until one matches.  One can try to reduce the viable
pool of keys by finding weaknesses in the algorithm, but you still need, at
some point, to iterate over what is left one at a time.

    Case in point of a reduction in key size, ever wonder why DES was 56 bits
originally, not 64?  Simple, there is a flaw in the DES algorithm which
renders the first 8 bits worthless.  So far that is the one and only example I
know of in the mainstream algorithms in use today where the keyspace was
dramatically reduced.