PGP problems

David Gaskill pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 04 Aug 2000 22:30:54 +0100

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000 13:44:25 -0700 (PDT), Froggyball wrote:

>(For those of you who think that you should use PGP all the time, lest
>"they" get suspicious when you send encrypted messages some of the time,
>consider that most people do NOT send encrypted messages. By the same
>token, who do you think "they" will be zeroing in on? Those minority of
>"suspicious" characters who always send encrypted, obviously they have
>something to hide... ;)

If I merely encrypt some of my e-mail, as others have pointed out, "they" are
bound to become suspicious simply because that which is not in encrypted is so
innocuous.

If I encrypt everything and, as you have pointed out, most do not, then there
must be a strong suspicion that I am engaged in full-time espionage.

But what if I encrypt nothing? "They" will  imagine that my plotting to
overthrow the state is conducted via dead letterboxes and cryptic personal ads
in newspapers. I will obviously be put under 24 hour surveillance so that "they"
can discover how I communicate with my network.

There is no escape.

David

PS. Is paranoia a gift or do you have to work at it?

David