filter question

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 22:57:42 -0300 (ADT)

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 21:32:07 -0400, Steve Marvin wrote:

>I use a filter for my family (who are all in a group called myfamily) the
>filter is:
>
>h.fromid="$ag.myfamily$"
>
>It opens the mail and plays a wav, hasn't ever missed that I can remember,
>I just tested it again by adding my own email to the group and turning on
>manual - then ran it in a folder that contains a mix including some from
>me. It opened every one from me and skipped all the others.

OOPS! My earlier comments were entirely wrong. Sorry!

As you point out, this action does work (just finally got it to work
here) and the quotes *are* necessary (though that syntax does not
make sense to me and is potentially ambiguous).

In the original filter suggested by Ken, we were using h.from instead
of h.fromid but either will work, depending on what you're looking
for. The only thing that is important is that string in your group
list (name, alias, email address) MUST match exactly with whatever
field you specify on the left.

If the From: line of an incoming message reads:

"Trevor Smith" <trevor@haligonian.com>

and if a group called "friends" has trevor@haligonian.com entered in
its list then this would match:

h.fromid = "$ag.friends$"

because fromid matches exactly the string in the group. But this
would not:

h.from = "$ag.friends$"

because from (the entire header line) does not match exactly since
only the email address is entered in the group.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor