pipe symbol wierdness [was Re: Streams, pipes, redirection tutorial]

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:00:29 +0100 (BST)

>    Odd.  That message was bounced to me because it hit the administrative
>filters.  Wonder if something in the back and forth translation with Listar
>fubar'd it up?  :/

It may have been related to my "choice" of pipe characters - I
innocnetly hit the pipe key on the keyboard which displayed the
vertical line with a break in it (the traditionally "correct" glyph"),
however IBM and/or MS in their infinite wisdom buggered up CP850 and/or
the UK locale (at least) making this an 8-bit char (0xDD?) when entered via
the nromal key. The correct 0x7e/124 pipe character can be entered with
ATT+1+2+4 to enter the correct character code, but this has the
(traditionally "incorrect") unbroken vertical bar glyph. <sigh>

For this reason I use CP437 (traditional US IBM PC/PC-8/"US-ASCII++")
as my primary code page for OS/2, where the pipe symbols and keyboard
behave as (a programmer) expects!

Of course it could have been PMMail and/or listar instead/as-well!

Life ain't easy!

Simon