pipe symbol wierdness [was Re: Streams, pipes, redirection tutorial]

Brian Morrison pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:34:40 +0100

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:00:29 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>For this reason I use CP437 (traditional US IBM PC/PC-8/"US-ASCII++")
>as my primary code page for OS/2, where the pipe symbols and keyboard
>behave as (a programmer) expects!

Some time ago my OS/2 system broke in this respect, I too use CP437
instead of 850, but somewhere round about FP6 it stopped working in PM
apps, VIO works correctly in that the key with the broken pipe symbol
produces the unbroken pipe character on the screen.

This is a real pain for PMMail, I'm forever typing alt+124 to get the
'or' symbol in my filters :-(

If anyone knows why this doesn't work, I'd love to know. Could it be
one of the locale settings somewhere that doesn't expect CP437 to be
active? I hate these things, if only we all used Unicode.

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails