OT: Email BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Hartmann pmmail@dmiyu.org
Tue, 05 Dec 2000 10:49:31 -0600 (CST)

I know that there are some "experts" on the list that know the inner
workings of the email system.

Over the weekend I received about 50,000 copies of the same identical
spam (except for X-UIDL:).

Through Spamcop I traced this to uu.net. I talked to uu.net security
several time. The first time they said that they notified there
reseller to take care of it. The second time they check the IP that I
had and said that they were not connected at that time and there was
nothing more than they could do. When I talked to them the 3rd time
they said that the problem was taken care of, but that the message
where "in the system" and they could do no more. That was at the
10,000 to 15,000 messages.

First how does this happen. Is there any place in the system that
this could happen other than the orginal spammer. Ei, is there any
way that he could have only sent one message and it got duplicated.

The next part is there any way to control the messages after they get
into the system (other that a block at my ISP)?

I have not heard of anyone else ever having these problems, but this
is the 3 email bomb that I have gotten in about 4 month (that got
past my ISP blocks).

Each time has happened over a weekend and it is hard to get ahold of
people that can do anything more than answer the phone.

Bill Hartmann

Lake Tapawingo, MO (near Kansas City)

billh@birch.net