OT: Email BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan B. Bayer pmmail@dmiyu.org
Tue, 05 Dec 2000 12:05:15 -0500

On Tue, 05 Dec 2000 10:49:31 -0600 (CST), Bill Hartmann wrote:

>I know that there are some "experts" on the list that know the inner
>workings of the email system.
>
>Over the weekend I received about 50,000 copies of the same identical
>spam (except for X-UIDL:).
>
>Through Spamcop I traced this to uu.net. I talked to uu.net security
>several time. The first time they said that they notified there
>reseller to take care of it. The second time they check the IP that I
>had and said that they were not connected at that time and there was
>nothing more than they could do. When I talked to them the 3rd time
>they said that the problem was taken care of, but that the message
>where "in the system" and they could do no more. That was at the
>10,000 to 15,000 messages.
>
>First how does this happen. Is there any place in the system that
>this could happen other than the orginal spammer. Ei, is there any
>way that he could have only sent one message and it got duplicated.

Yes.  Depending on how he is doing it, it is possible for him to send a
message one time and get it duplicated to a mailing list (which would
just happen to be your address).

>The next part is there any way to control the messages after they get
>into the system (other that a block at my ISP)?

Not as far as I know.

>I have not heard of anyone else ever having these problems, but this
>is the 3 email bomb that I have gotten in about 4 month (that got
>past my ISP blocks).

Somebody doesn't like you.

>Each time has happened over a weekend and it is hard to get ahold of
>people that can do anything more than answer the phone.

Change your e-mail address.

JBB
- --
ICQ # 44910403
Power Listviewer URL:   http://www.bigfoot.com/~PowerListviewer
PMMail Archiver URL:    http://www.bigfoot.com/~Jonathan_Bayer/archiver

For PGP Public key block/Fingerprint send the following message to me as the Subject:
        Send PGP Signature