Fwd: RE: Newsletter Technical Feedback

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 07:18:58 -0700

Saturday, July 08, 2000, 6:49:20 AM, Steve wrote:
>     My take on it is that they grew into that role and the name stuck.  Also
> there might be misunderstanding in the name.  For eample, an RFC could mean
> that a Request For Comments went out, comments were collected, discussed, and
> the results were distilled into the RFC.  To be perfectly honest I don't know
> how they fell into that role, I just know that the fill it.

    For those interested in seeing a concise history of the RFCs, check this
link: <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2555.html>.

>    Besides, where else are you going to find the protocol for data
> transmission via carrier pigeon?   :)

    And for those curious about this one, here are the appropriate links,

A Standard for the Transmission of IP Datagrams on Avian Carriers
<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html>

IP over Avian Carriers with Quality of Service
<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2549.html>

    Those aren't the only ones, there are loads of interesting nuggets hidden
in the RFCs.