PGP problem: finally sorted out (But it is a bug)

Winfried Tilanus pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:28:48 +0200 (CDT)

Hi!

I tried PMMail/2 v.2.1 some time ago, but never got PGP 5.0i working
correctly with it. Beside that, I have some other programs running that
need PGP 2.6.3i to be in the path, so I decided not to upgrade.
Recently I felt the need for PGP 5.0i support and I upgraded my version
of DragText, allowing me to set environment variables for different
programobjects. So I decided to buy the upgrade of PMMail and to fiddle
around until I got it all working.

So here is my old setup:

F:\net\pgp    - PGP 2.6.3ia-sha1 executable
F:\net\pgp50  - PGP 5.0i executable
G:\pgp        - Config / language files / keyrings for both versions of
PGP
PATH=...;F:\net\pgp;...
PGPPATH=G:\pgp

With this setup both PMMail 1.96a as PMMail/2 2.10.2010 made correctly
use of PGP 2.6.3ia-sha1

But, when I changed my path to PATH=...;F:\net\pgp50;... PMMail/2 2.10
(that should be able to work with PGP5.0i) showed all security options
in the menu's, but whenever I tried to use one of them, it resulted in
an empty message.

After trying a lot of possibilities, I finally found that I could get
PMMail/2 2.10 only work correctly with PGP 5.0i with the following
setup:

F:\net\pgp50  - PGP 5.0i executable, config, language files and
keyrings
PATH=...;F:\net\pgp50;...
PGPPATH=F:\net\pgp50

So PMMail/2 2.10 works only with PGP 5.0i if the keyring files are in
the same directory as the executable. Strange enough, for making
PMMail/2 2.10 to work with PGP 2.6.3 this is not nesseceraly...

The use of 'PGPPATH' is to define the place of the keyrings, language
files and configs. PGP 2.6.3 and 5.0 are so designed that they can
share the same directory for those files. So PMMail/2 2.10 should be
able to work with the executable of PGP 5.0i in one directory (present
in the path) and the data files of PGP 5.0i in another directory
(pointed to by 'PGPPATH'). I hope this can be fixed in a future
release.

Best wishes,
Winfried

http://web.inter.NL.net/users/Winfried/