Microsoft Virus

Skip Huffman pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:15:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 08:31:32 -0400 (EDT), W. J. Myles wrote:

>Is this type of virus likely to be able to work with other email
>programs that also calculate the local time/date from the header
>information?

From the referenced site:

"The malicious code can be hidden in the email time and date
stamp. ... If the sender of the message adds program code to the
offset value of GMT calculation code, Outlook will then attempt
to execute the program"

Ok, now go back and read that sentence again.  If there is
program code in the  DATE AND TIME STAMP!!!  Outlook WILL
EXECUTE IT!!!  Who on earth programmed this thing????

Why would anyone do that??  That would be like opening a box of
nails and finding an unknown power tool in the box and plugging
it in and turning it on.

I'm sure all the Americans on this list have seen the auto
insurance tv commerials "We all do dumb things"  where the
little guy steals the bone from the huge dog, or presses the
button next to the cannon, or pulls the rope holding up the
anvil.  Well, executing code found randomly lying around in a
header is A DUMB THING.

I really doubt any company other than MS would even conceive of
doing this.  In fact I am surprised that MS could be this dumb.
I wonder whether this was sabotage.

Skip
--
Vote Ralph Nader for President,
Don't settle for the lesser of two evils.