Microsoft Virus

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:16:27 -0300 (ADT)

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:15:28 -0400 (EDT), Skip Huffman wrote:

>Why would anyone do that??  That would be like opening a box of
>nails and finding an unknown power tool in the box and plugging
>it in and turning it on.

Hey, I would turn it on!

>I really doubt any company other than MS would even conceive of
>doing this.  In fact I am surprised that MS could be this dumb.
>I wonder whether this was sabotage.

But yes, I agree MS has programmed a piece of crap in terms of
security. Who would have ever imagined 10 yrs ago that some day
*email* would be such a huge security hole. :-(

And no, I don't think that other emailers will have this same problem
unless they do something ridiculous like Outlook does. Note the
alleged reference on the site:

"If the sender of the message adds program code to the offset value
of GMT calculation code, *Outlook will then attempt to execute the
program*."

(Emphasis is mine.)

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com