PGP problems

Andrew Webber pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 23:21:37 -0400

Hello!  I'm using the Professional version of PMMail2000 on Windows
95.  I've never gotten all the PGP problems resolved, but I have to
admit some of them don't seem that important sometimes.  I'm always
surprised at how few people use PGP.

Here's a specific one that bit me again today.

I regularly receive encrypted email from a specific person.  When I
click on it in the message list, I'm not prompted for a passphrase,
instead the preview pane starts like this:

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: PGP Personal Privacy 6.0.2
=FF
qANQR1DBwU4D6N

If I double-click on the message to read it, I'm again not prompted
for a passphrase and it opens as above.

Only if I hit "reply" am I prompted for my passphrase.  After I
give it, a popup window says,

Decrypting File
ascii armor input incomplete
[OK]

After clicking on "OK" a message window opens, with the actual text
of the message, ready to go as a reply (from me, to the sender,
with ">" at the start of each line).

My questions are these:
1. What would be causing this?
2. Does the "ascii armor input incomplete" imply a lack of
security?  Or what?

For reference, the sender's details are:

(If more fields are needed, let me know).

I do know the sender doesn't use a PGP plugin, he highlights his
message, copies it to the clipboard, uses a tool to encrypt the
clipboard, and pastes into his message.

Oh and I just found something interesting, if I have "retain
original formatting when replying" selected, when I hit reply I get
the encrypted message (start of which is quoted above) in a reply
message, with controls for font and alignment.  Unchecking that box
takes me back to the "ascii armor" message and seeing what's there.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks!

andrew [awebber@wwwebbers.com]
------
for PGP public key, send email with "send public key" as subject
current local weather: http://cnn.com/WEATHER/html/OttawaOntario.html