Requiem

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 00:09:53 -0700

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 12:28:57AM +0100, David Gaskill wrote:
> No, I don't think PMMail can make money in the Windows market. I have never
> come across anybody that uses it who isn't a migrant from a OS/2. As I have
> suggested previously to carve out even a miniscule share of the Windows
> market would need promotional expenditure which I suspect is beyond the
> means of the present owners.

    This, again, flies in the face of TB! which is veru similar to PMNail not
only in look, fell and features, but is programmed mainly by 1-2 guys like
PMMail was under Southsoft.  Difference between PMMail and TB! is that TB!'s
programing core releases versions frequently.  TB! is constantly at the top of
the list on www.winfiles.com and has never been dropped from TuCows like
PMMail has.  All BSW needs to do is start down that path and keep the name out
there.  Hell, PMMail was well enough known to hit 2nd place on Deja's poll
behind only TB!.

    So, again, TB! can make money in this market, there is no reason that
PMMail cannot.

> It would be very difficult indeed to persuade me to use any client other
> than PMMail because it does everything I want and I am thoroughly familiar
> with it.

> Most people would say the same thing about Outlook Express, Eudora or
> whatever ...

    However, the majority of the people don't have ties to their email client.
They use it simply because that is what was given to them.  In a market
measured in the millions even getting something as small as 0.1% means tens of
thousands of customers.  In a market where growth is measured in the millions
even a small percentage means tens of thousands of new customers each year.