Requiem

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:12:08 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000 00:28:57 +0100, David Gaskill wrote:

>The vast majority of e-mail I receive is written on Outlook Express. For the
>overwhelming majority of corporate and private users this application is perfectly
>satisfactory. To persuade people to spend money on a mail client rather than use a
>generally satisfactory free one is going to need considerable promotional effort and
>that costs lots of money.

I would argue strongly that Outlook and Outlook express are "unfit" for use
in the commerical world. It's abso-bloody-lutely terrible that the world's biggest
software company makes standards busting email clients that provide world class
virus havens that you couldn't easily match if you tried on purpose!

How many *billions* of dollars were wasted on the I LOVE YOU virus and Melissa
before?  How much money do corporates spend on email virus countermesures?

If someone at blueprint could persuade just one big corporate to sign up (may be
even restrictively license them the sources to protect them against blueprint
going out of business), then that may generate enough revenue to put some
real effort into badly needed further development and marketting.

Maybe blueprint should try to talk to NAI etc about licensing PMMail to them
as the basis of a virus resistant email client?

Simon