Requiem

Chris Adams pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 00:38:11 -0700

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 06:07:04PM -0700, Chris Adams wrote:
> > OE does not have acceptable IMAP support, has numerous security
problems,
> > doesn't do filtering for IMAP, and is buggy with numerous
inconsistencies
> > and hangs.
>
>     Heh, funny.  Of all the clients that I've used, aside from Pine which
is
> expected to have the best IMAP implementation, OE ranks 2nd with
everything
> else far, FAR down the list.

I don't know about that. In my experience:

Outlook has major problems actually deleting messages. It also has problems
reporting new mail that doesn't technically exist.

Netscape Messenger's only problem is that sometimes sending a message
requires a offline->online toggle to reset the connection afterward.

Eudora actually manages to delete messages and doesn't screw up its own
connection data but doesn't check for new mail in IMAP subfolders.

As far as IMAP implementations go, OE is probably slightly ahead, but
frankly this is like debating whether a fork in the eye hurts less than a
toothpick. None of them are what I consider acceptable, which is a simple
question: "Will I get calls from users freaked out by something weird it's
done?"

As far as everything else goes, my opinions are much lower. Is user
interface design a dead art? (Let alone what I'd consider professional level
tools for people like me who receive hundreds of messages a day.)