Requiem

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:55:09 +0100 (BST)

>Considering the power and usefullness of PMMail,  it's amazing
>to me that someone in the open source community doesn't clone
>it for Linux.

At least you didn't say "it's amazing...that someone...doesn't JUST
clone it..."!

I think people underestimate the effort required to write software
(especially GUI software).

A full featured email client with all the right RFC support is not
at all easy to get right (indeed, it's not quite right yet in PMMail
after how many years of largely funded development?).

In this case much of the code can be borrowed from existing open source
mailers which would help a lot, but even the GUI for PMMail would be
quite a lot of work [In many, perhaps most GUI programs, the user
interface is most of the work, the "guts" of the program is usually
a small portion].

Several to many man-months of effort would be required, so it's
therefore not "amazing" to *me* that someone has not done all this
work for the rest of the community in their spare time and for
nothing! [Rather it's amazing that any significant open source
software apps exist at all!].

If you also had to support HTML (yes, I know, but it could be
considered "important" to compete with Outlook), then you can
add some addtional man months for basic support, or a couple of
man years for full Outlook style support!)!

Simon