Requiem

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:13:15 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000 00:56:37 -0700, Chris Adams wrote:

>I'm a bit curios - what would you improve?

Excluding the miscellaneous bugs that exist and in no particular order...

1. IMAP, IMAP & IMAP!
2. Improved MIME and RFC standards support - this is actually quite a broad
   area!
3. Improved PGP support (mulitple keys, encryption of attachments,
   key info in address book and is also related to 2 above)
4. Import of Outlook messages and address books (vital to attack the
   Outlook market)
5. More flexible message handling (possibly via existing filter mechanism)
   so that sent mail may be stored in and threaded (msg ids) with
   received mail in different folders
6. More filter actions (create folders, user groups etc etc, related to 5
   above)
7. Mailbox support (sbowring+os2uk@mpc-data.co.uk, sbowring+ibm@mpc-data.co.uk
   etc)  Ties in with 6 and  2 above.
8. Much improved desktop integration drag'n'drop - I would like to be able to
   have:
    1. Shadows/shortcuts to users from the address book in desktop folders so that
       I can drag a file onto a user to send it to them)
    2. Shadows/shortcuts to mail folders in desktop folders, so that I can have project
       specific mail conveniently accessible from my desktop's project specific folders
    3. Shadows/shortcuts to mail messages in desktop folders
    4. Copy messages to desktop folders
9. Improved address book (I want to add my own fileds, like mobile phone number!). Be nice
   if I could assign my own icons too.
10.Improved (or removed or removeable) spell checker (e.g. recognise hypens apostrophes,
   plurals etc better or at all, and folder specific user dictionaries)!
11.A great many minor userbility enhancements e.g.
   1. default to current folder when open the search dialogue,
   2. leave source windows in background while draging,
   3. "open up" the vcard support,
   4. Set "Responsible" defaults:  non-proportional font,  HTML disabled and
      get rid of the "reflow at send" option etc)
   5. Include email netiquette info in help (possibly with a disableable hints to
      naive users when they are doing something that may be "dodgy"!
   6. PMINews/Windows style dynamic sorting of folders
   7. Only have to supply one id in the email address/name settings (not repeat 2
      or 3 times)
   8. Support closing "sub-windows" (not the whole app) from the OS/2 task list
   9. Actually show the sig being used!
12.Palm Conduit (or hooks so that 3rd party can have a go)

That's enough for now!

Simon