"Cannot resolve SMTP host name"

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 00:17:04 -0400 (AST)

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:24:42 -0500 (EST), Norm wrote:

>     Another thing that could cause such a problem is an outdated entry
>in a 'hosts' file.  This is something I have experienced.  Your ISP

Was just about to suggest this. It also happened to me once. Of
course, this would affect *all* TCP/IP programs trying to access that
domain (with the same OS).

>changes the IP address for their SMTP server and now you can't connect.
> If you're using a 'hosts' file entry for the SMTP server I'd suggest
>running 'nslookup' and checking the result against what's entered in
>the 'hosts' file.

BTW, for those who don't know, your HOSTS file is usually

x:\MPTN\ETC\HOSTS

I think (x: being your boot drive or the drive you installed
networking on). Note that HOSTS is the file name, not another
directory. There's often another in x:\tcpip\dos\etc but that one
only affects DOS/Win-OS/2 TCP/IP connections, I think. Can anyone
confirm?

--
 Trevor Smith          | Most of humanity has always been
 trevor@haligonian.com | insane, at least some of the time.