PGP Encryption

John M Price, PhD pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 22:38:42 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Alexander Sarras wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 22:36:56 +0100, xavier caballe wrote:
>

> > >Can anyone tell me how to pick a public key from my pgp keyring to
> > >encrypt a message?  I click on the encryption button, but it uses _my_
> > >private key.  I am using pmmail 98 under win nt.
> >
> > I don't know about PMMail 98, but in PMMail 2000 you can do that on Account -> Properties -> Security and select the
> > appropiate key on the  "Select the key ID to be used for this account".
> >
> No! This should be the senders key, otherwise nothing would work correctly.
> It's used for signing emails and when encrypting the message is
> additionally encrypted with the senders public key, so it stays readable
> for the sender. It only can be encrypted to a receiver if the receivers key
> is on the keyring (Watch out, those email-addresses have to match!).
>
> So as far I can tell everything seems to work correctly there.

AFAIK, the following should happen:

The message should be encrypted with the sender's key for the sent-mail
folder, or left in plain text.

PMMail should get the keys for all the recipients, and encrypt accordingly
- each recipient receiving an individualy encrypted message which he or
she can decrypt.

I've yet to see it work.

--
John M. Price, PhD                                     jmprice@calweb.com
Life: Chemistry, but with feeling!      |      PGP Key on request or FTP!