Email Line Lengths

Jim Nuytens pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 03:07:04 +0000

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:45:41 -0500, Michael Baum wrote:

>This is obviously some meaning of "standard" with which I am
>unacquainted.

Oh, please! Let's not get "cute".

>No specific line length seems to be enforced by the mail
>protocols save the ~1000 byte limit that Mr. Wood cites, and
>I assume 1000 is too long for you.

Just goes to show what you don't know and what happens when you assume.
I never said or hinted that 1000 was too long for me. It (again) comes
down to being a bit more considerate of others to accept the
convention, even if you don't agree with it. It's called getting along
with others.

On a positive note; I see you've changed your messages. Thank you for
at least that much.

>Standard? Please.

As Steve pointed out (and I'll be happy to correct myself on this one
point), it's more of a convention than a standard. That one I'll give
you. The rest of what I said I still stand by.