don't like HTML email? here's your fix.

David Gaskill pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:26:11 +0100

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 18:00:59 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:06:19 +0100, David Gaskill wrote:
>
>>Most of the html e-mail that I receive uses bold and italic and different text sizes and
>>colours to distinguish blocks of text. The sender does not do this to make it look
>>pretty but to aid comprehension.
>>
>>Of course you are right when you say that this can be done in Ascii using the
>>various e-mail conventions but it is certainly true that the use of colour and text
>>emphasis can aid clarity.
>
>So when soneone reads your coloured email on their VT-220
>(a very common monochrome terminal in common use, particularly
>on Digital systems like VAXes, but also on Unix etc), I can
>read your helpful comments like "my comments are in RED, fred's
>commenst are in yellow and queries are blue", how do you suggest
>the email client handles the situation?

If you read my posting you will see that I am referring to html e-mail that I receive. I
also said that I only send html e-mail in response to a communication in that format. I
think it reasonable to assume that those that send me html e-mail are not using VAXes
orUnix so it seems to me courteous to reply in the format chosen by the sender.

I know the majority opinion on this mailing list is that those that send html e-mail should
either be ignored or sent rude responses although I believe boiling oil is favoured by
some. Even if I was minded to join in this jihad against the blasphemers my income
would decline so rapidly that before long I would not be able to afford the fuel to heat
the  oil ...

David

David