TZ... Again

Erik Bracke pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 21:45:38 +0100 (CET)

Hi everyone,

Just to add a (maybe) interesting item: there exists a TZCalc freeware programme on hobbes that calculates the correct setting for
TZ environment variable as a function of your country. My machine here in France did the swap to DST correctly with the setting
which I got from TZcalc and upon dialling to my ISP that started TimeKeeper/2 who finally adjusted the RTC.

SET TZ=CET-1CDT,3,-1,0,3600,10,-1,0,3600,3600

Of course, the offsets here (3600 for 01.00 AM) should have been 7200 (for 02.00AM) but that I could set myself.

Here is the readme that comes with the tzcalc03.zip archive from hobbes:

TZCALC - A program for calculating the TZ environment variable.
Version 0.3 (tzcalc03.zip)

(This program was formerly included with time868f.zip)

The TZ (time zone) environment variable controls the
interpretation of the hardware clock. While this information
is documented elsewhere, the information is cryptic and
difficult to use. Hence this program....

This program calculates the TZ environment variable from
settings on the screen.

Installation:
1. Unzip the .zip file into a new directory in a convenient
place.

2. Run the program. Follow the notes on the screen.

3. If needed, copy the calculated value to your config.sys

If you find an error (there are some), please let me know. If
possible please include a URL for a web page where the correct
information may be found.

This program is free, but a picture postcard or an email
note is appreciated.

I hope you find this useful.

Norbert Dey
PO Box 103
Newberg, Oregon 97132
USA

Email: dey@teleport.com

Hope this info serves someone,

Erik B.

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 11:48:54 -0800, Marty Abrego wrote:

>I hate to bring up a potentially explosive topic (well, maybe not),
>but this should be an easily answered question.  During the previous
>TZ discussion, I think someone posted the long-form of the TZ
>variable for OS/2 -- you know, the one that says exactly what date
>and time to change to DST?  I searched through the old mail, but I
>couldn't find it.
>
>The thing is, today we are on DST, but OS/2 didn't change.  That's
>"normal", except that I am running Timekeeper/2 and I thought it
>would handle it.  It didn't, but I think it might have if it had the
>long-form instead of "pst8pdt" for TZ.  Anyone remember the long
>version??
>
>TIA,
>

>                  \\|//
>  Marty Abrego    (o o)    "Bases are better covered than asses."
> -------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------------------------------------
>  photon@qnet.com                                - Mr. Realtime

//---------------------------------------------------
Erik Bracke
private:                         Prof.:
Villeneuve                       CERN (div. SL/LRF-co)
F-01170 Crozet                   CH-1211 Geneva 23
France                           Switzerland
tel.:   +33 (0)4 50 410 327      +41 (0)22 76 75632
email:  ebracke@attglobal.net    Erich.Bracke@cern.ch
***Note***Note***Note***
- From October 1st, 1999:
email: ebracke@ibm.net has changed!
Please Update Your AddressBook!

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= CC79 DA3A E7FD 007B AFD1  2726 31F1 3AE0 0391 7BD3