OS/2 Install problem, solved!

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 01 May 2000 15:21:39 -0300 (ADT)

On Mon, 01 May 2000 11:05:45 -0400 (EDT), Larry Ebbitt wrote:

>FDISK sets the correct partition type.  Nothing more should be necessary.
>Once a crook, always a crook.

OS/2's FDISK is hopelessly outdated. I say this not because Microsoft
changed the rules (I'm sure they did), but because *EVERYONE* else
seems to be playing with new rules. Extended partitions above 8 GIG
are still set the same with OS/2 (I don't know the partition ID # but
they are called "extended partitions") but any other OS or partition
tool (Win98, Win2k probably, Linux, Partition Magic, ...) sets an
extended partition which stretches beyond 8 gig as an "ExtendedX
partition".

Every other OS I tried booted fine with this ExtendedX partition
containing logical drives. OS/2 insisted the extendedX partition
didn't even exist.

It's because OS/2 and FDISk were written in the early 90s and they
aren't keeping up. Irritating but I expect a solution soon (not from
IBM though).

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6