PMMail/2 Attachment bug?

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 09 May 2000 14:12:52 -0300 (ADT)

On Tue, 09 May 2000 14:04:05 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>But for some attachments I can't, I get a centered system modal
>pop-up saying:
>
>              "System Error
>
>      An unrecpoverable system error has
>      occurred.  The session has ended
>      without saving your data"
  [...]
>Here's an example of the MIMEness around one such attachment
>(this one has no file extension, but some that exhibit this
>problem do have an extension).
>
>>------=_NextPart_000_0056_01BFB9B2.CF2CCC00

As someone else has already pointed out, this is a problem with your
MIME associations. You have a MIME association set for MIME type
"application/octet-stream" which calls some program, which is
generating the error you see.

You should open your MIME associations page (in the PMMail->Settings
notebook) and check each association. If *any* of them are of type
"application/octet-stream" change their type to something else. You
can actually just make up a type if you want and enter it.
Attachments should still get started/opened properly based on their
file extensions.

"application/octet-stream" causes a lot of problems because many
attachments get this type so it's not a good way to categorize
something because there is no guarantee it will be the type you
expect it to be.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6