PM Mail/2 under a Novel/Pegasus system

Steve Wendt pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 18 May 2000 12:48:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 18 May 2000 15:51:50 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>>mail in my SMTP/Incoming path. I could not determine how to get PMMail/2 to
>>use this Novel/Pegasus setup to send mail. Luckily, I can send my mail through
>>a SMTP server, but I was told that I can not depend on the continued

Sending through an SMTP server is indeed what you must do.

>But when you send (internal) mail using pmmail, how does it get to
>other pmail/netware users - there must be a gateway somewhere
>(unless you simply cannot send mail to internal pmail users)?

Right, he can't send internal mail, it has to go via SMTP.
FWIW, the 16-bit version of Pegasus works fine in WinOS2.

>We used to run an old 286 running some free DOS software called "the charon
>gateway" (AFAIR) - this bridged between the proprietry novel/pmail mail
>system and the smtp/pop standards based tcp/ip world.  [Incidently this

The author of Pegasus has made a replacement for Charon called Mercury.
There are versions for both Netware and Lose32, and it provides full POP and
SMTP (client, not server) daemons.

>since open standards and ip is the future and netware is the past!

Netware now uses IP, XFree86, etc.  :)

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws."
     - Plato (427-347 B.C.)