Impressive speed-up for PMMail?

John Bridges pmmail@dmiyu.org
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 06:04:02 -0800

If you have a large archive of messages in PMMail (for instance my mail
directory is 1.7GB and over 84,000 files), you know it can take quite a few
seconds to run PMMail the first time.

If you have a Promise IDE controller in your machine, the most recent drivers
make some pretty insane claims about speeding up all harddrive access up to
40% (even from SCSI or other IDE controllers).

Well, at least for PMMail, the performance improvement is not 40%.

It's more like 90%!!!!  PMMail now starts instantly for me, even after a
fresh boot!

Here is the driver:

http://www.promise.com/Reviews/U100Boost.htm

Not recommended unless you have plenty of memory since I'm pretty sure the
trick is that it pre-caches all directory entries (not a bad idea when RAM is
around 30cents a meg these days).

At those sort of prices, having less than 256meg is silly.... (PriceWatch,
PC100 256MB is $82)

The Promise driver will not install unless you have a Promise controller, you
can buy their latest Ultra100 controller for $27 mailorder, the Ultra66 is
selling for $20.