BSw

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 12:30:52 -0700

Tuesday, October 03, 2000, 11:24:08 AM, Ralph wrote:
> Sounds ok, but I just checked and I couldn't find any links to
> "official" mailing lists.

    AFAIK there aren't any.  He certainly hasn't asked for the subscription
list from this one which I have mentioned I'd gladly turn over to anyone who
wanted to host a more official list.

> There are a couple of forums, but the activity on all except the PMMail2K
> Professional is almost nil. Also, the response time from "Customer Support"
> seems to be measured in days and weeks or never.

    Of course, they are web based.  "We have an email client here, let's use a
web-based forum for support.  YEAH!"

> Why is he bothering to unsubscribe since he's ignored virtually
> everything posted here anyway?

    Why bother unsubscribing when he was never subscribed in the first place?
This list is open so anyone can post to it.  Unless Listar isn't sending me
subscribe/unsubscribe reports any more (which it most certainly is) I don't
recall ever seeing him subscribe, don't recall seeing him in the user list the
last time I checked, and he most certainly didn't unsubscribe any time after
that message was sent.

> I guess his message means that Jimmy and Trevor won't be allowed to play
> with us here any more, either.

    That is how I read it, yes.  I do believe it is because of my fallout over
their products and business practices.

> I'm going to head over there now and ask some questions to see if the
> "official technical support" has any answers to the outstanding
> questions that have defied any response from BSw over the past 8
> months.

    Don't bother, Jimmy is the one manning those forums and he has been here
all the long as well.  You'll get the same rhetoric there as you did here.
Only difference is that they no longer will provide official support on this
list.  AFAIK there are no other 3rd party lists for PMMail.

    Trevor, Jimmy, you're both still on so you can forward this to Thomas, I'm
tired of dealing with him.  This is another BS move by BSW.  This list across
its two hosts (rpglink.com and the one previous to it) has been the place for
PMMail support long before BSW was ever in the scene.  It gets off-topic at
times but it is the only community PMMail has.  If he wants to shaft that
community, so be it, but let's not mince words about it.  I think it is quite
clear that BSW doesn't give a damn about its current customer base and would
much rather it would disappear.  If that isn't the case then BSW would not be
dropping an official presence here without providing some means to transition
people to someplace that will have an official presence.

    Vague directions to a lame-duck website is not a good faith effort to
transition the community from one source to another.  What is a good faith
effort is speaking with the list administrator to obtain a copy of the
subscription list and an orderly transition from one list to the other through
a changing of the reply-to header would be negotiated.  I am the list
administrator and no such request has come.

    BTW, if anyone is worried about privacy issues they need only look at the
welcome letter that was sent to everyone when they subscribed. The first
paragraph contains the following verbage, "If, in some future time, someone
creates a PMMail list on a server with more bandwidth the user list from this
mailing list will be forwarded to the administrator of that list so,
hopefully, everyone will not get lost."  I've never hidden the fact that the
user list would be forwarded to another list.

    Thomas would know that /if/ he had subscribed.

    Yeah, I'm just a bit upset again.

- --