BSw

Ralph Cohen pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 03 Oct 2000 20:48:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 03 Oct 2000 18:52:37 -0400, Postmaster Account wrote:

>Let's cool our jets shall we?
>
>Seriously, relax folks.    If you just hate PMMail, can't stand to see
>how we're handling things, or don't believe a word we say,  switch
>clients, cheer up, and spend the time that you would normally spend
>complaining about  the program with your family and people you care
>about.  One day you'll wish you did just that, not with PMMail but with
>a lot of other things too.

If we hated PMMail we'd be using another client.  However, many of us
have used PMMail for years and we've been patiently waiting for various
bug fixes and improvements.  BSw made a series of promises and
announcements about PMMail which they haven't followed through on, so
it is only natural that criticism be directed its way.  BSw may be your
life, Thomas, but it's not ours, so thanks for your condescension, but
I doubt that any of us feel unduly burdened by throwing an occasional
well deserved criticism at BSw.

>Although Jimmy asked for the list of users on this mailing list,   I
>would prefer that we not obtain the list from Steve and say that we do
>not wish this information in any format.   If it has been sent, we will
>delete it and purge the list of any names used from the list.

Everyone signed up on this list did so with the understanding that it
would be turned over to the owners of PMMail whenever they got their
act together, so what's the problem?  If you've decided that BSw would
be better off without the input of members of this group, then why not
just accept the list and trash it.  Why go out of your way to alienate
everyone openly?

>I am confident in our strategy, and I know we are gaining and losing
>customers 24/7.      The object of the game is to make more happy
>customers than you lose due to unhappy ones.  If you've never sold
>anything more than lemonade, you know a basic principle of selling:
>You're not going to make everyone happy and that you WILL, not MIGHT,
>lose customers along the way.

Good for you.  Personally, I've never found unresponsiveness and broken
commitments to be an effective tool for winning customers or making
them happy, but to each his own.

>For those of you going to the site and want to say "AH HA!  NO
>LISTS, HE LIED!!!", we merged 2 mail servers into 1 last Friday and are
>still moving domains over.   The lists are coming and the decision to
>host official, company santioned support areas was only made a little
>over a week ago.  Until then,  phone fax and forums will work fine for
>tech support.Remember, our role is to provide support, not
>companionship.  ;-)

Competency would be nice, too.  You are the one who made the
announcement this morning about the mailing lists.  Was it too much to
expect that you might know what you were talking about?  If the lists
weren't ready, then you could have said so in your message.  At the
very least, you should be apologizing now for your misstatement instead
of throwing insults.

>PMMail has some bugs - so does every other program on your computer.

Really?  What are PMMail's bugs?  Which ones are you going to fix?

>PMMail could use a facelift, but the interface is fast, intuitive, and
>slick - some things you just don't mess with - they work.   Remember
>New Coke?

If the bottle caps leaked occasionally, I bet Coke would fix the
problem instead of admonishing customers to learn to live with it.
PMMail's auto mail retrieval function regularly stalls for me and for
others -- is this something that will be fixed or should I just learn
to live with it.

>The OS/2 version will continue to be enhanced and supported as much as
>possible,  even though a certain big company doesn't support  the
>compiler any longer.

What does that mean?  How will PMMail/2 be enhanced in the update
"scheduled" for release in 10-12 weeks.  Surely you must have some idea
by now?

All in all, a very disappointing performance, Thomas.  Chastising
customers for expressing less than total satisfaction with PMMail and
BSw is pretty lame.  You could have accomplished far more if you had
simply cut the bullshit and answered the questions that have been
directed to BSw over the past 8 months.  In fact, you could have
accomplished much more if you just hadn't said anything at all.

Ralph Cohen

rpcohen@neurotron.com