Report from the Front

Ralph Cohen pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 04 Oct 2000 01:14:20 -0400 (EDT)

Well, I took the plunge and joined the BSw PMMail/2 forum to see what
the "official support" that Thomas had promised was like.  Maybe I
would finally have the answers to the questions I'd been peppering
Trevor and Jimmy with for the past year!  Maybe I would do a 180 degree
turn and start singing the praises of incredible customer support
vehicle that BSw had suddenly become!  Maybe IBM would declare OS/2
*THE* strategic platform and would pour $500 million into development
this year alone.  Or maybe not...

Here are my questions and the responses I received:

1.  I asked if there would be an open beta program for the PMMail/2
update prior to release, like the one planned for the PMMail 2k update.

Answer: This is under discussion, as far as I know. My opinion has been
sought but no firm answer has been given to me about a final decision.

2.  I asked if there had been a decision about charging for PMMail/2
updates.

Answer: Not that I'm aware of. No one has notified me of any decision.

3.  I asked if HTML email support was being added to PMMail/2 since
their website says that it's already included in PMMail/2.

Answer: I don't have any info on whether that feature will be in the
next OS/2 version or not. Sorry.

4.  I asked if a list of the new features being included in the next
release could be posted, and specifically mentioned the ability to
filter messages to folders in other accounts.

Answer: Sorry, I don't have this info yet.

5.  I asked if a list of bug fixes being included in the next release
could be posted, and I specifically mentioned the problem with the auto
retrieval process stalling.

Answer: I'll be happy to post this as soon as I can get my hands on it.
The developer tends to write and debug code though rather than
correspond with me so I can't promise it will be coming soon.

So, no surprises there.  It's status quo at BSw and either Trevor is
still being kept in the dark, or he actually knows everything that
there is to know about the PMMail/2 update which means that there is
nothing at all to know.  Either way, I, for one, am not going to let my
subscription to this mailing list expire, even if it does mean having
to put off sending the kid to college for a year.  I've got my
priorities!<g>

Ralph Cohen

rpcohen@neurotron.com