Abuse.net mail header problem

Kris Sorem Sr pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 08 Oct 2000 18:31:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 08 Oct 00 13:51:24 +0700, Dr. Jeffrey Race wrote:

>None of my outgoing mail contains a Message-ID field.  What RFC or
>other standard specifies this is required for a wellformed message?

To my knowledge, there is no RFC or other standard that /requires/ the
Message-Id field for a well-formed message header. However, RFC822 ( see:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc822.txt ) does specify it as an optional
field. RFC822 also specifies that the uniqueness of the Message-Id field
will be guaranteed by the host. PMMail does not generate a Message-Id but
rather leaves it to the /host/ server to generate. For this reason, PMMail
can only be used as an agent and not a host.

My ISP SMTP server as host creates the missing Message-Id field for
my messages. You may wish to address the issue of no Message-Id field to
the SMTP server administrator for attglobal.net. On the other hand, you
could challenge the policy of the administrator for abuse.net in requiring
it. Since RFC822 optionally permits the Message-Id field, it is unlikely
that the abuse.net administrator will change policy.
--
JMO,

/s/~Kris