Damaged OS2 files

Larry Ebbitt pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 09 Oct 2000 16:45:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 07:40:57 -0700 (PDT), Bill Wood wrote:

>I'm not shy about asking dumb question. Here's one that's also off
>topic.
>
>One of the few thing about old Windows (not sure about Win9x) was
>that you could reload the system files right over the old ones to fix
>damage. And this was easy to do.
>
>Every time I have tried something like this in OS2 I have slid right
>down the slippery slope leading to a complete reinstall and I don't
>remember why.
>
>Is there some simple way to do this? Is there something that everyone
>else knows that I don't? Etc. I don't have a current problem, just
>some bad memories. Lot's of OS2 horsepower on this list. I'd
>appreciate any help/advice - a general approach would suffice.

There's nothing dumb about the question.  The OS/2 files are binary
databases, not text files, and they're constantly being updated with
state information like window positions, etc. I've used Unimaint for
years to keep mine pristine and I've been very happy with it.

Larry  -  Atlanta / OS/2

DISCLAIMER:  In the case that I contradicted something else I said
in this or some other post, the verbiage that is correct will override
the incorrect verbiage and the incorrect verbiage will be void!