Damaged OS2 files

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 09 Oct 2000 18:44:46 +0100 (BST)

>One of the few thing about old Windows (not sure about Win9x) was
>that you could reload the system files right over the old ones to fix
>damage. And this was easy to do.

Does "reload the system files" mean "overwrite the system files"? and
which system files are you talkng about (the old ASCII .INI configuration
files presumably).

>Every time I have tried something like this in OS2 I have slid right
>down the slippery slope leading to a complete reinstall and I don't
>remember why.

Some OS/2 config files can be overwritten at run time - OS/2 still
has some ASCII mode MS Windows style INI files, most notably
for (MS-style) networking. OS/2 also has binary .INI files very
like Window's registry files, and it also has unix style text config
files for tcp/ip etc etc - any of these can be over written IF you
know what you are doing - though typically some processes need to be
restarted (or the machine rebooted).

Note you shouldn't overwrite binary .INI files while they're
in use. Either use an INI file editor for such "live" editing or
boot to a command prompt.

However, YOU DO HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, or you'll render
your machine "unusable" or lose settings (just as on Windows)!
What are you doing ;-) ?

Simon