Thoughts on the announcement or "With everything, stir, stir, stir...."

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 14:17:13 -0700

Friday, September 08, 2000, 2:02:04 PM, Ralph wrote:
> Is there a Python library that will allow it to run under OS/2 as well?

    <http://www.python.org/download/download_os2.html>,  However, I don't
think anything other than Tkinker has been ported for the GUI, if that.
Provides a problem since I've heard Tkinker is a pain to program for.
wxPython was given high marks and hits the two platforms I want to hit,
Windows and Linux.  OTOH recent news which involves the GNome project have
soured me on anything which is related to it, which wxPython uses GTK on the
Linux side for the GUI.  :/

> "AIMS Prototype is a proof of concept MUA that will combine the best
> features of the Unix MUAs and Windows email clients while cutting all
> the cruft from both."

> What is "cruft"?

    From <http://www.science.uva.nl/~mes/jargon/c/cruft.html>:

cruft: /kruhft/ [very common; back-formation from crufty] 1. n. An unpleasant
substance. The dust that gathers under your bed is cruft; the TMRC Dictionary
correctly noted that attacking it with a broom only produces more. 2. n. The
results of shoddy construction. 3. vt. [from `hand cruft', pun on `hand
craft'] To write assembler code for something normally (and better) done by a
compiler (see hand-hacking). 4. n. Excess; superfluous junk; used esp. of
redundant or superseded code. 5. [University of Wisconsin] n. Cruft is to
hackers as gaggle is to geese; that is, at UW one properly says "a cruft of
hackers".

    In the case of AIMS Prototype definition #2 and #4 apply.

    For example, anyone who has been on this list, TB! list or read any of my
many discussions on the topic will know that I consider the editor a separate
application from the mail client.  In that case it is #4, redundant code,
excess code, completely superfluous.

    OTOH I also consider the fact that most Unix MUAs not providing the SMTP
interface into the MTA (I've written a explination of this in the forums
there) a deficiency in the program's design.  EG, shoddy programming.

    So on the one hand I intend to not put in what I feel shouldn't be there
and on the other add in what I feel had been left out in hopes of finally
coming up with something that I can point the die-hards in both groups to,
something functional, and say, "Look, look here.  See, it works /this/ way for
/this/ reason, does do this for /this/ reason but leaves that out for /that/
reason and it STILL WORKS!"  :)

- --