HTML Rendering in PMMail/2

Rodney R. Korte pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:26:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:00:19 -0400 (EDT), Ralph Cohen wrote:

>Simon said:
>
>"If you want to try to guarantee that new *mail* related and
>usability features are left out of PMMAil, shout for "proper" HTML
>support (despite the fact that there is no such thing).  That should
>keep the 2(?) programmers occupied for three or four years to come."
>
>"Believe me, blueprint cannot afford to develop an HTML 4.0 rendering
>engine in their email client - it's several man-years effort and just
>developing the engine is only the beginning"

At the risk of starting a he-said, he-said war, this doesn't equate to
your interpretation of "the horror and impossibility of incorporating basic HTML
rendering in PMMail/2"  (Simon said HTML 4.0) nor "I've seen claims that
to do so would take BSW several years and inestimable amounts of money
which would surely bankrupt the company and inevitably lead to the downfall
of Western civilization."  'Several' might be a bit of an exaggeration
of Simon's part, I don't know.  But 'Several man-years effort' certainly
does not translate to 'several years'.

>Sorry, but Southsoft also didn't make the claim on their web pages as
>BSW has done regarding HTML transparency in all their PMMail products.

This is true.  I never touched that point, and still haven't.

>Remember, this discussion revolves around questions I directed towards

Your discussion, not my comment.

>BSW, not Southsoft.  We're coming up on the one year anniversary of
>BSW's purchase of PMMail and I, for one, am anxious to hear from them
>why they are or aren't planning to implement HTML rendering in
>PMMail/2.  I think it's high time that we let Bob and Ike get on with

I simply made a statement about why HTML doesn't exist now, and that
I don't see that the reasons it doesn't exist now haven't changed,
and therefore that you shouldn't get your hopes up about getting HTML
in the future because of it.  I have deliberately *not* engaged you
in deliberating and/or arguing over the exact wording in BSW's
announcement and what it means, and don't intend to.  Please see the
difference.  The latter (trying to get a more "acceptable" announcement
from BSW) would seem to be a complete waste of time, for whatever
reason, legitimate or not.
--
Rodney R. Korte                   OS/2. Operate at a higher level.
rkorte@psu.edu                 ---> MIME, PGP (at URL below) welcome.