Questions for PMMail Tech Support

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:42:37 -0700

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 04:41:48PM -0700, John Bridges wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:10:08 +0900 (EST), John Angelico wrote:

> >As I read this it seems to be a document to specify how to mail programs
> >sending and receiving should use URL links in emails. Have I missed
> >something?

> Huh? The title and body of the text deals with "MIME E-mail Encapsulation of
> Aggregate Documents, such as HTML (MHTML)", it has several examples of HTML
> Emails.

    That is fine.  Does that document describe which portions of HTML would be
used?  Encapsulating the data is not the problem considering we have that now.
We're talking the displaying.  Do we implement CSS or not, for example?  HTML
2, 3 or 4?  XML?  Encapuslation of data does not translate into the
displaying of data.  For example, do you know how many layers of encapsulation
your email goes through?  ASCII, SMTP, POP, TCP, IP are all just software
layers, not even getting into the physical layers.  4 of those are transport
protocols that encapsulate the data and have no bearing on how it is
displayed.