Questions for PMMail Tech Support

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:10:07 +0100 (BST)

>If your criterion for HTML not being in email is a lack of a standard then
>we shouldn't have PGP in email since there is no standard for that, either.

That is but one of my critisisms.  If a supplier of s/w for 90% of the
PCs in the world "pre-emtively" brought out an emailer that *defaulted* to
PGP encryting every message, I would similarly moan about it - it's a
question of interoperation - I have no objection to people agreeing
between themselves to send PGP encrypted email, Word files,  or HTML
emails, it's the fact that emailers default to this "non-standrad"
behaviour, and "normal" users have no way of knowing that this is "wrong".

> It also forces users to upgrade all the time since the HTML standards evolve
> so fast - not even NS or MS are able to keep up with the w3c standards with
> their web *browsers* (for which HTML is intended).

>    This is not true.  The w3c standards are slower than the implementation of
>the browsers proprietary features.  The w3c standards are actually quite slow.
>We're still on 4.0 and have been for a while now.

I'm afarid it is true! W3C recommends browsers implement XHTML 1.0, only
six months after HTML 4.01 was agreed. Yet we're still waiting for the
major browser vendors to fully implement HTML 4.0 (and it's associated
cascading style sheet standards CSS1 and CSS2). AFAIK No commercial browsers
on the market fully support these standards - NONE! See http://www.w3c.org.

I agree that the (irresponsible) browser vendors implement all sorts of
non-standard proprietry features, but don't understand what this has got
to with the argument (but it's another good reason not to have HTML email!)

Simon

- --