Questions for PMMail Tech Support

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:00:37 +0100 (BST)

>Umm, you mean does it save it to disk, or display it? Or do you mean it
>doesn't define what HTML is?

There are many detailed implementation decisions to be made,
and each implentor of HTML email is going to inevitably make
different decisions, and no set of decisions will be the "right" decision
for all users in all cases.  This is the sort of sbehaviour that
would require standardisation!

HTML itself is defined, so that's not a problem! What's not defined
is how aspects of HTML are treated when HTML is within an email message.

For example I could email you a page from our intranet, it might
contain all sorts of links and images, but you don't have access
to our intranet, so should my mailer leave the links and images out?
Should it leave them "dangling"? Or should it encapsulate them according
to RFC blah-blah and send them out with the message? If it does the
latter, where should it stop?  It may send out our whole internal
web-site?

So, how should links and images and style sheets be handled? Should
they be allowed at all? What features of HTML should be allowed,
Framesets? What?

MS Outlook appears to support all HTML 4 features that IE supports,
does that mean PMMail/2000 must, if not what is acceptable and to
whom?

Simon

I'll prepare some examples, and email them to interested parties
(but it'll have to wait until this evening now).