Why this phobia to HTML mail?

xavier caballe pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:32:24 +0200

>*adherence* to *standards* by *everyone*!  By deciding to use HTML
>mail, you are deciding on behalf of others, that they want HTML mail,

Again, there are some information sources that only deliver
messages in HTML. If you don't like, they say 'is your problem'.
Most people is happy with HTML mail... this is a fact, and
neither you or me will change that.

So, in order to let PMMail survive I do believe is required to
offer a good HTML support (like the one you can find on Eudora
or on The Bat!). If they decide to do not support HTML, I'm sure
you'll be happy... but most people won't consider PMMail a
viable choice. So, it will be very hard for PMMail to survive.

>It is (but never should have been) your decision to (ab)use HTML email,
>just as it's your decision to use "PDF mail" (if you can find or write
>a mail client that "supports" it), it's even your decision to drive on

Problem is that people in the real world is happy with HTML mail
and don't want to switch to PDF... for them is fine to receive a
HTML message and, again, there are a lot of information sources
that just deliver mail in HTML. If you don't like, you loose
that information.

>actual email programs that exist don't support HTML email at all

Of course... I'm sure there is people out there that still uses
a .QWK mail reader, as there are some people running WordPerfect
on DOS... but, from an economic point of view --in order to
invest money in development of a new product-- these people is
not existent at all. They won't invest money on a new product.

Frankly,

Xavi
---
Foghorns blowing in the night, salt sea in the morning breeze,
driving cars all allong the coastline... This must be what paradise is like